Change Grow Live
Staffordshire and Stoke Children’s Rights Service Independent Visiting
Independent Visitors are volunteers who offer confidential support to a young person they have been specifically matched with. They are separate from social services, all other agencies and are there just for the young person.
Access to Independent visiting sessions is a statutory entitlement for children and young people who are living with a foster family or in residential care.
How it works
- One-to-one sessions, once per month in the community.
- Session times and activities are chosen by the young person in conjunction with their IV, who will make arrangements directly with the carers.
- IV’s are supervised by project staff and are given a budget for appropriate activities.
- The service provided is confidential -unless there is a concern about the young person or someone else
- IV visits can continue for as long as the young person consents, up until aged 18.
For many children and young people living in foster care can be unsettling. You can make a difference by volunteering as an Independent Visitor.
Independent visitors support a child or young person on a one-to-one basis. Young people are offered the chance to meet with an Independent Visitor if they have little or no contact with their own families. As a volunteer you are there for the child or young person; a positive role-model who is independent and distinct from the paid professionals they see.
You will meet with a child or young person once a month to offer support, encouragement and guidance. This could involve taking part in a fun activity together or simply having a chat.
If you would like to be there for a child or young person, letting them know they have someone on their side, then this is the volunteering role for you.
We will support you in this role by ensuring that you receive regular supervision, and have a key contact for day-to-day advice and guidance. In return for the time you give you will receive valuable training and gain experience and skills. You’ll be making a real difference too.
Our values are to be compassionate, open and bold. If this sounds like you we’d love to hear from you.
Telephone: 07912 120158