YMCA North Staffordshire is a charitable organisation which has served the residents of Stoke-on-Trent for nearly 170 years. As ever, we stand ready to support children, young people and families across the city during these difficult times.
YMCA North Staffordshire will offer support to the community in the following ways:
1. Family Support Service for schools, Stoke-on-Trent City Council and partners
Our community response offer is based around providing a single point of contact for families struggling during this Covid-19 crisis. These families are likely to have been receiving support from schools, Family Support Team (Stoke on Trent City Council), voluntary or other agencies which may have ceased. In such circumstances YMCA North Staffordshire’s Family Work Team can provide a variety of ways to support these families through these difficult weeks.
We are conscious that as the need for social-distancing and isolation continues families may need an additional level of support. We know how hard it is when children are no longer in nursery, school or college, and we understand the difficulties faced by parents at this time. Such factors may lead to families living in the city of Stoke-on-Trent needing more support than usual or needing support for the first time.
The Family Work Team will:
Provide support to families requesting help. This support for families may address concerns such as:
- Domestic Abuse
- Parenting (teenagers/younger children)
- Conflict between family members
- Managing social isolation – strategies to cope with self-care and caring for others
- Ideas for children of all ages
- Advice on childcare, breast feeding, weaning, routines and behaviour
- Strategies for ensuring families can remain under the same roof and can manage their relationships. We can support with communication skills, how to argue well, how to resolve conflict and provide advice and support when things get difficult – daily if necessary.
• Support community groups with the delivery of essential items
• Deliver family resource and activity packs free of charge to help social isolation.
2. Digital Youth Work and Delivery of Activity Packs
In addition to our specialist family work services, our youth services team:
• Have created a bespoke online offer via platforms including Zoom, Instagram and Facebook to keep young people aged 10-15 entertained at home.
• Have created a timetable of other fun things to do online provided by other organisations and groups – also available to a younger age group
• Are able to deliver fun resources packs full of useful items including a Tote Bag with notebooks, pens, origami paper, plant pots with cress seeds and compost pellets, beads and bits for Sock Puppets.
• Additional Resource Packs available during the period subject to supply/demand. We also welcome feedback from all.
The offer will continue to be built and developed over the coming weeks.
Website: YMCA North Staffordshire
Best way to contact
Telephone: 01782 222385
Phone line is open from 10 am until 3 pm and 4 pm until 9 pm on weekdays.
Alternatively, emails can be sent to our community response team on the email address listed above.
Note: YMCA North Staffordshire will monitor capacity to deliver the above services on a weekly basis. If you have specialist skills in the areas identified above and wish to support us, feel free to contact us about opportunities to volunteer with us.